Exchanging quick wins
It’s also important to realize that cloud solutions like Office 365 do not automatically protect you. Much depends on the type of license you’re using. Sometimes, a simple switch suffices to adequately shield your data from the most common attacks, like phishing and malware.
Many companies don’t see the value of cloud security (yet), or maybe they’re not fully aware of the risks. Yet, did you know that Microsoft will start blocking legacy authentications for Exchange Online in the second half of 2021? The traditional protocols used to connect your mailbox server to an email client – like IMAP and Pop3 – will be blocked, since they don’t offer the necessary support for security and multi-factor authentication. This change will have a huge impact on your users – and on the security of your organization.
While changes like these require expert intervention, there’s a lot companies can do themselves to improve security that’s relatively easy, including:
- Checking if you’re using all the security options in your licenses to the best of their abilities.
- Raising security awareness throughout the company. After all, no security measures are ever 100% airtight. And as phishing campaigns get more sophisticated, it’s becoming increasingly likely that at least someone in your organization will fall for them.
- Patching your systems as much as possible. Every month new vulnerabilities are detected that can be solved by just updating your systems. 60% of breaches in 2019 involved unpatched vulnerabilities.
- Taking care of your admin accounts. Separate normal user tasks from admin tasks by creating admin-only accounts. When it comes to administrative tasks, never allow cybercriminals to take advantage of human error. Keep admin tasks separate, take the user account offline, and enforce strict policies.
- Changing your mindset and embracing cloud security solutions. We use cloud technology to do our work. We need cloud technology to protect it. The machine learning and automation capabilities of those solutions will reduce your efforts.