Data management & governance: beyond business insights
Money and people have always been considered the most important enterprise assets. As they are crucial for the organization reach its goals, they must be carefully managed. Today, data is also considered an enterprise asset with recognized value, and should thus be handled as thoughtfully as traditional assets. Frontrunning companies are organizing their internal process structures in such a way that they can unlock the power of data to stay ahead in an ever-accelerating world.
Data management & governance is the development and execution of architectures, policies, practices and procedures to effectively manage information in an enterprise.
A multi-faceted discipline
Source: DAMA International (DMBOK)
There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to business data management:
- Data governance: refers to the formal organizational and procedural aspects of data management and comprises all the other aspects of the discipline. Put simply, data governance is the ‘who does what’ of data management.
- Data architecture management: the setup of systems, software platforms, ERPs, etc. used to manage data.
- Data development: the development and building of databases and data warehouses.
- Data security management
- Reference & master data management: setting up a ‘golden record’; a central hub where all valid data is stored and made accessible to the right people at the right time to ensure a single source of truth.
- Data warehouse and BI Management
- Data quality management: the process of extracting, transforming and loading data to enable accurate reporting and analytics.
Beyond traditional BI
Every traditional business insight is, in fact, a form of data management. Data was loaded from different sources (the cloud, databases, and MDS or flat files) into an ETL (extract, transform, load) process to enable reporting and analytics. Today, however, there is a growing awareness that businesses and processes need to be arranged in a way that allows the active management and application of data to enhance operations and decision-making.
data is an enterprise asset that needs to be managed as thoughtfully as money or employees
How we can help you?
delaware is one-stop-shop for everything data. Our deep experience and data-empowered references differentiate us from our competitors. We have proven affinity for data, and we know how to deliver effective solutions. In this way, we bridge the gap between technology and a top-down approach.
We provide a host of Microsoft and SAP Insights competences in data management, including:
- Data integration & ETl
- Data warehouse solutions
- Data architecture, modeling and governance
- Master & reference data management
- Data security and quality